And just like that, summer’s over! I know we’re all pretty bummed to resume business as usual after a few months of sun and frivolity, but personally, I’m an Autumn/Winter person anyway. Suddenly hibernating with a blanket, a few books and endless cups of tea is seen as slightly more acceptable. And I’m good with that.
Without further ado, here’s some of my favourite content this month for your clicking pleasure!
- If you haven’t discovered Reductress yet, get on it! It’s satire of the likes of The Onion and The Waterford Whisperer, but concentrated on the condescending trends of women’s media. Reductress parodies magazine cliches with gloriously snarky titles like ‘Is Your Neck Autumn-Scarf Ready?’ Genius.
- I may be late to the game here, but Neil Patrick Harris wrote a book called ‘Choose Your Own Autobiography’ in the style of those old ‘Choose Your Own Adventure’ stories! I think I might need it.
- There’s been a lot of talk encouraging women to drop the habit of saying “I’m Sorry” if they want to be taken seriously at work. Lauren Modery explains why this is bullshit.
- Phoebe Ryan has a sweet, angelic voice and she used it to mash-up Ignition with Do You Like Drugs. It’s my jam.
- This artist has been giving old Bratz dolls make-unders and the end result is absolutely gorgeous.
- ICYMI, some dude broke up with his girlfriend on a grounded flight and a fellow passenger live tweeted the whole ridiculous, hilarious mess.
- The first (almost) fully formed brain has been grown in a lab. Sounds like something out of Hemlock Grove but it could actually mean big things for medical research.
- A heavily pregnant Amanda Palmer’s gorgeous living statue for NYPL children’s block drive.
- Gala Darling on the inherent unsexiness of playing it cool.
- Is it just me or does a popsicle in a glass of wine somehow seem like the height of sophistication? Also, yum.
- FCKH8 presents: Feminists v. Photoshop!
- Do you know the difference between eau de parfum and eau de toilette?
- A totally necessary rundown of everything they eat in The Breakfast Club (none of which is breakfast). “It’s unclear whether his mom actually married Mr Rogers, like Bender says, but if she did, why isn’t that man stressing the importance of morning meals??”
- “This year I made a conscious decision that I was going to stop talking about what I wanted and actually do it.” Sarah Starrs on how to run shit.
- Some infectious enthusiasm for my fellow bloggers: “The reason I know doing all this is the right thing for me is the endless passion I feel for it all.”
Featured image by Vegan Feast Catering.